What To Do If You Are Injured At Work

If you are injured at work, you may be entitled to injury compensation benefits provided under the Federal Employees' Compensation Act (FECA). Federal employees have certain rights and responsibilities in filing for these benefits:

Immediately report any work-related injury to your supervisor. If your injury requires medical treatment, obtain care as soon as possible. If you sustain a traumatic injury, you may obtain a Form CA-16, Authorization for Examination and/or Treatment, from your supervisor or ICPA.

You have a right to choose your treating physician. You may elect to be treated by a physician at a military treatment facility (if available) or by a duly qualified physician of your choice who is not excluded by the Office of Workers' Compensation Programs (OWCP). You must notify your supervisor of your preferred choice prior to scheduling an appointment. Any request by your supervisor or the occupational health clinic that you be evaluated by a medical clinic or contract physician must not interfere with your preferred physician appointment.

To protect your rights to certain benefits, complete the Form CA-1, Federal Employee's Notice of Traumatic Injury and Claim for Continuation of Pay/Compensation, or CA-2, Federal Employee's Notice of Occupational Disease and Claim for Compensation, electronically using The Employees' Compensation Operations & Management Portal (ECOMP) as soon as possible, but not later than 30 days after your injury. Complete a Form CA-1 if your injury results from a specific event or a series of events during one day or shift.

If you develop a condition due to prolonged exposure lasting more than one day or shift, complete a Form CA-2. Your supervisor will transmit these forms to the appropriate Injury Compensation Program Administrator (ICPA). Complete these forms as precisely as possible in order to avoid delays caused by asking you for additional information.

You may be asked to provide additional information. Although your supervisor or other agency representative may assist you, it is your responsibility to obtain the information needed to support your claim.

If you are temporarily unable to work because of your injury, you need to keep your supervisor informed about your medical condition, and return to work as soon as your physician allows you to do so. Light duty assignments may be available if you are not able to perform your regular job, and if so, you must advise your physician of the availability of such assignments..

If you experience a work-related injury, your supervisor will tell you who to contact for assistance and additional information, and can provide you with a rights and responsibilities letter. To protect your rights and receive benefits as quickly as possible, please do not delay in reporting work-related injuries.

Department of Defense
Defense Civilian Personnel Advisory Service
HR Operational Programs & Advisory Services
Benefits and Worklife Division
Injury Compensation & Unemployment Compensation Branch
4800 Mark Center Drive, Suite 05G21
Alexandria, VA 22350-1100

Commercial Phone: (571) 372-1663
FAX: (571) 372-1662
DSN Phone: 372-1663
DSN FAX: 372-1662
E-mail: ICUC Questions
E-mail: Pipeline Coordinator

You are now leaving DCPAS.OSD.MIL