How to File a UCFE Claim

The Unemployment Compensation for Federal Employees (UCFE) claim is based on where the work was performed, which is generally the State of the last duty station. If the employee lives in a State other than the State of the last duty station, the employee should report to the local unemployment office closest to where he or she lives

The State Employment Security Agency (SESA) representative will ensure the claim is filed against the correct State. The employee should bring:

  • Identification such as a driver's license
  • W-2 forms or earnings and leave statements for the last two years
  • SF-8, "Notice to Federal Employee About Unemployment Insurance (if available)
  • SF-50, "Notice of Personnel Action," issued at the time of separation
Next Steps

The SESA representative will complete the ES-931, "Request for Wage and Separation Information," and the ES-935, "Claimant's Affidavit of Federal Civilian Service, Wages, and Reason for Separation." The ES-935 is used by the SESA to establish the employee's base period wages and reason for separation if the ES-931 is not received from the Federal Agency within the time period specified (12 days from the date the form was submitted to the Federal Agency).

Department of Defense
Defense Civilian Personnel Advisory Service
HR Operational Programs & Advisory Services
Benefits and Worklife Division
Injury Compensation & Unemployment Compensation Branch
4800 Mark Center Drive, Suite 05G21
Alexandria, VA 22350-1100

Commercial Phone: (571) 372-1663
FAX: (571) 372-1662
DSN Phone: 372-1663
DSN FAX: 372-1662

E-mail: ICUC Questions

E-mail: Pipeline Coordinator

You are now leaving DCPAS.OSD.MIL